Monday, January 23, 2012

Fun Times With Famous People # 1

Hey guys!!
In a previous post I said that one day I'd love to share with you some of the cool stories I've written during my time as a journalist.
And so,tonight we kick off this new series. For argument's sake and because these types of stories are always really fun to write, let's call this series Fun Times With Famous People.
It just so happens I've found this really cool one - well, one that I loved, by chance tonight when surfing through my old emails - and I had completely forgotten about it so to find it again was cool.
Here in New Zealand, probably the biggest television network is TV3 and when I was a student - all the way back in 2006 - I actually got to interview the director of news and current affairs at TV3, Mark Jennings.
Trust me, for an aspiring journalist like I was back then - and still as a qualified journalist now, it's pretty cool when you get to chat with someone like Mark, who has made it to the top of the food chain in your country and is doing a great job.
It inspired a new comer like myself to greatness, and I couldn't believe I still had it, so I thought I'd share a nostalgic look back at some of my work. Here's the story I wrote all those years ago...


                                                                             ****
When Mark Jennings started at TV3, he and his small team of dedicated journalists built the newsroom from scratch in a period he describes as “the happiest time of my life”.
 Now, as head of the channel’s news and current affairs, Mark says he faces another challenge in once again growing the station further.
 TV3 is very strong in terms of its metropolitan viewership he says, which shows him where the channel’s popularity lies.
 “My hope is that we can now extend our metro strength to national strength”, he says of future growth.
The channels follow-up programme to the six o’ clock News - Campbell Live - is very popular in Auckland.
 But, outside Auckland, a Hamilton Bureau is definitely on his mind. 
“Our thoughts are about Hamilton. Hamilton’s growth as an innovative leader in technology has increased our interest in it as a news source”.
 Mr Jennings makes it clear however he does not want ratings through ‘chequebook’ journalism’ any time soon, and he plans to hold out for as long as he can.
 He made reference to Brant Webb and Todd Russell, the men trapped in a Beaconsfield mine for two weeks - whose story has just been brought by Australia’s Channel 9 for almost $3 million New Zealand dollars.
 “Cheque book journalism is a real problem, once you get it started, there is no stopping and I’ve tried really hard to not get it going in this country.”
 He said for young journalists it is important to remember that the world of television journalism is very hard and competitive and the expectations were high - but it can be done.
 “If you do want to become a TV journalist, you can do it…you’ve really got to apply yourself,” he said.
                                                                                  ****
Hope you guys enjoyed this first installment of Fun Times With Famous People. More will be coming soon as I can unearth them from my story vault :)

For our YouTube channel, click HERE
For our Facebook page, click HERE                                   
For our Twitter, click HERE

Talk to meh, I'd love to hear from you!
Until next time, bye for now, love you all!
Jay




  

No comments:

Post a Comment